Background

Sunday 15 January 2012

Signs of Spring.

I was out early this morning to walk a couple of dogs. The trees were tipped with gold, grass crinkled under food and my breath hung before me in the air. It was beautiful and signs of spring were everywhere. I rang my first snowdrop. It was surrounded by tiny spears of crocus and daffodils poking out of the grass beneath a weeping willow.

It is ironic that the first signs of spring are accompanied by one of the coldest mornings of
this winter and I had to scrape the ice off the car for the first time. The trouble with mornings like this is that the sun is so low, it makes it hard to see. Still, I am not complaining, it is a glorious day. Blue skies and sunshine no matter how cold, serve to cheer me up. It is the way it should be, no grey skies and dark days, just beautiful sunshine which brings with it the hope of warmer, longer days.

It is days like this that sustain me through the winter when all I really want to do is stay in bed and keep warm. Although I do not take kindly to snow, at least if we have a blanket of white, it looks like winter should, but instead we get short, dull days with grey skies. The nights are starting to draw out, and there is still a little light in the sky when I leave the office at 5.00pm. The mornings too are lighter now which makes getting up a little easier.

Soon, the trees will be in bud and the geese will be flying north, landing on the field around the corner to rest before continuing their journey. They make such a racket flying overhead in triangle formation but they do herald a welcome change in the seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment