Background

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Light

Finally, there is light at the end of the day. By that I mean that at 5.00pm when I leave the office, the last vestiges of light are lingering and I can almost find my way to my car without falling down a pothole. It points to spring when the trees start to bud and flowers are beginning to wake from their slumbers. Spears of daffodils, and crocus are poking through the ground waiting for the warmth of the sun and I am coming out of my slump.

During the winter, my brain stops functioning properly and hibernation mode kicks in. It is hard to concentrate, and my enthusiasm for anything dries up. I want endless pyjama days which, of course, I don't get and I want to eat endless chocolate, something which I do sometimes give in to. About now, my spirits start to lift and my mental hibernation begins to come to an end and I feel generally lighter, as though a weight has lifted.

Apparently, in parts of the country at the moment, if it is cloudless, you can see the Northern Lights. Of course here with all the light pollution it is nigh impossible to spot such things, and in fact, you are lucky to see a star. A little further north, in Yorkshire, some stunning photographs have been taken of the Aurora Borealis in all their breathtaking beauty. Normally seen only near the Arctic Circle, these rare sightings are only possible because of a strong solar explosion. Catch them if you can.


No comments:

Post a Comment