Background

Monday 6 May 2013

Words

I was looking through a magagzine this afternoon and came across an article about a garden in the Wye Valley. It was titled "A Froth of Flowers" and I thought how lovely the phrase was, and how it describes perfectly the way a cottage garden looks with its mix of pretty blooms bobbing in the breeze. It is a perfect example of how a well chosen word or phrase can convey a world of meaning which of course is what language is all about. It also reminds me of how poverty stricken we are in this country when it comes to such things. Language does not seem to matter to some, and I get the "no-one cares about things like that" speech when I point out the difference between there and their; to, too and two and the list goes on. Well, I care and I become decidely grumpy at the whole thing.

What I am beginning to find irksome is that I have arrived at the point where I cannot remember where the apostrophes live, or sometimes how to properly string together a sentence. Grammar rules I learned at school seem to have been lost in the mists of the last 30 years or so. I know that I used to know them, but the more we are bombarded with stray apostrophes, poor grammar and appalling spelling, the more they look correct. This also makes me grumpy.

We are almost in May and the weather is showing some signs of picking up. We have had a number of consecutive dry days and some sunshine, but the temperatures have been a little too low for my liking. We have had a bank holiday this weekend, so naturally, I expected the weather to be appalling. I was mistaken. We have had a couple of glorious warm and sunny days which the cats have enjoyed to the fullest.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment