Background

Saturday 18 August 2012

Summer

Whisper this, but it would appear that we may be getting a summer. For the last couple of days, we have had warm temperatures and intermittent brilliant sunshine, although today, the sun did disappear leaving a sultry morning followed by a lovely sunny afternoon. The humidity is a little high though, and last night one of the cats decided it would be fun to sleep draped over me. Warm temperatures, and a furry scarf just do not mix but try telling him that.

I have had a week off, and am back at work day after tomorrow. Naturally, I have not managed to get done all the things I intended, and the week has passed in a blur.

Time flies so quickly. Whether this is a sign of ageing or not I don't know, but a year seems so much shorter than it used to be. We are, not so merrily, hurtling towards Christmas and we have not seen a summer yet. The nights are drawing in. As I write, it is just after 8.30pm and dark is falling, and I have the light on, and this morning I heard geese. The geese gather twice a year on a field around the corner. In spring on their way north, and autumn on the way south. They can both perk up and dampen the spirits.

The shorter days herald the cold, grey skies and snuggling in front of the fire, but they also bring with them the the blue period (and I don't mean Picasso).

I hate the winter, it makes me feel like staying in bed all day. My body does not cope well with the cold and feels like it is seizing up, my brain goes sluggish and I can't remember anything, and my mood heads into a deep blue abyss. I only start to come out of the mood when the days are perceptibly longer.





No comments:

Post a Comment